Tuesday, July 8, 2008

PATIENCE PAYS OFF

I played a few Heads Up Games today at my Current $50 Buy In Level and one STT at my current Buy In Level. I did very well at heads up play and in my STT very early into the game I lost about half my chips when my Pocket Q's did not hold up against A K. I knew I needed to set back, relax and let a few players knock one another out and wait until I had the cards and play it smart extracting as many chips as possible to rebuild my stack. I folded almost every hand including when I was small blind with no cards worth playing. Pretty soon I had regained my chips and it was down to the final 4 of us. I won 3 straight hands in a row and in the process knocked out a player. Now it was the final 3 and we were all in the money. The Chip Leader had twice as many chips as me and the other player. I again decided to be Patient and wait until I had the cards to back me up and then play smart as to extract as many chips as possible. Before long the Chip Leader had grinded the other guy down to nothing, for the most part because he was sticking in and calling in hopes to hit his cards. This did not do so well for him and it moved me up another pay scale and left me heads up with this guy who had 3 times as many chips as I did. By this time he knew I was a tight player and I used this as a tool to work against him. I started out Heads Up Play folding almost every hand and when I did have a good hand and pushed him into folding I showed him my cards which in turn left his mind thinking if I play I must have the goods to back me up. I bluffed nearly 80% of the time the rest of the game and the other 20% of the times when he called I did indeed have the goods! I soon had the chip Lead which must have sent him over the edge and into Tilt and then I continued grinded him and out of the game. I picked up the 1st place win and collected $235 in the process. I ended the day up adding another $290.00 to my growing Bankroll!

No comments: